Whoo hoo! Ever since I finished exams I have been living life to the full…or at least getting full on these carrot oat balls. Same thing, nay? Anyhow, since I am unchained for the moment I have a breath to catch in time and space and start getting all my ducks in a row for the next few adventures: my teaching practicals starting at the beginning of next month, a possible cool second job that will make me feel rich, a trip to Morocco to plan (ARGH!), and other treats like homing kittens and attending courses on how to be an awesomesauce teacher. Well, if you thought that was a mouthful you should see the inside of my head: it’s just a non-stop blab fest, which is why I’m going to switch over to food now to calm us all down again 😀
But before I forget, don’t miss out on your free downloadable chocolate-themed vegan ebook! There’s sneaky veggies and fruit and protein, so you won’t feel bad or guilty if that’s how you secretly view chocolate. Celebrate and munch!
It may not seem very true but I am a galactic fan of order in chaos; I love rules and focus and aiming for objectivity whilst reveling in the subjectivity of all our experiences. So you can imagine planning what to eat the next day is always a time-quencher since I need to know what’s happening before it does so that it doesn’t jump out at me all IT’S LUNCH muthaliker! I’m trying to be all good and stuff these days and have variation, so it isn’t all cauliflower nice-cream bowls 24/7, but since it inevitably is I need to find new ways to get my grain on and puff it all up with fibre and the lot. Cereal is my secret love child but I am partial to some oats, but unless it’s sprinkled with chocolate from the heavens it doesn’t quite have the same appeal just cooked up as it does ninja’d into, say, portable balls? You see how sneaky I am, clearly. By ball-i-fying these ingredients I still get to dunk them in my smoothie or cauliflower nice-cream bowls and have it all my way, which is of course the best way >:)
Ingredients (one serving! Or two, if you’re stuffed):
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup GF oats
- 3-4 dates, soaked
- 3 TBSP date-soaking water
- 1 TBSP flax powder
- 2 droppers NuNaturals NuStevia Liquid Vanilla (or else 2 tsp vanilla extract plus 1 – 2 TBSP liquid sweetener of choice)
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger spice
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- Optional: 2 TBSP cocoa powder and 1 extra TBSP water or 2 tsp spirulina
- Optional: 1 TBSP nut or seed butter
- Optional: chocolate chips or dried blueberries, cranberries, or goji berries.
- Blend down your oats until fine in a food processor, then blend down your carrots and the rest of the ingredients until combined.
- Take TBSP-sized batter portions and roll into balls. If you’re doing variations fold in blueberries, chocolate bits…whatever makes your heart soar. (I highly recommend the cocoa version!)
- You should get between 12 – 16 balls. Don’t worry; it’s all yours!
- Place in a loaf pan or freezer-friendly tupperware.
- Store in the freezer until ready to munch – let it defrost for a few minutes. If you’re impatient you can gnaw on it until softened, which is usually what I do :p
I honestly did make the chocolate variation…and then I ate them all before I could take photos, and now I’m not making them again for at least a week as a mental time out to show my brain who is boss around here… but I suspect that’s going to backfire soon enough and I’ll emerge at the end of the week with oats and chocolate smeared all over my face.
If you follow me on Instagram then you’ve probably seen these balls before a number of times – but they are so handy and filling that I don’t mind looking like a broken record, especially if it makes my heart skip a beat every time I open the freezer. Pictured below I had it with a straight-outta-the-freezer banana breakfast bar from my free ebook, linked at the beginning of this post 🙂 I cannot get over how much I adore frosty treats, especially when it feels like we’re in the middle of a heatwave. In such times I get super lazy so it’s great to put minimal effort into prep and get tasty and nutritious results in return. Anyhow, today I’m off to the cat shelter to get the kittens their second round of vaccinations and to get a general check-up before Pepper goes home on Saturday and Raisin on Monday! ❤ Poor Kiwi and Marmite are essentially homeless, even though they are immensely cute, so I don’t mind holding onto them for a while longer 😀 Then it’s off for pizza with the in-laws of awesomeness, so the day is looking up!
Have a great Wednesday, and feel free to link me to your What I ate Wednesday posts/instagram/twitter pics – I’m always curious!